Sunday, January 17, 2010

Last weekend's colors

The Sacramento Antique Faire is so amazing. It reminds me a lot of the White Elephant Sale in Oakland, which I've been to 3 times. I'm going to try to go every month now! (It's on Second Sundays.) I'm glad it wasn't raining last weekend, because then I wouldn't have found these little porcelain darlings:


Speaking of last weekend, I also stopped by Verge Gallery early to beat the Second Saturday crowds, and was taken aback by the work of Gina Tuzzi and Cynthia Horn in "Magic Window," a group show highlighting some contemporary paintings ranging in style. The exhibit ended yesterday, but I'm excited for whatever Verge shows next, which I believe is Jeff Musser's incredible tattoo portraits. (I really think Verge is the best gallery in Sacramento.)

Gina Tuzzi, "El Dorado (1989)," 2009, Acrylic on Paper. (ginatuzzi.com)

Fell in love with Tuzzi's tropical beard man. The colors! The colors!!

Cynthia Horn, "Livingston," 2009, oil on canvas.

What isn't captured properly in the above picture of Horn's piece is its size. The painting is 84" by 108", and when I stood in front of it my immediate instinct was to dive into the pool. I die for large-scale work.

No comments:

Post a Comment